Friday, January 24, 2014

First NorAm Win

It was freezing (actually well below!!!) today in Jericho for the opening day of NorAm Championships. I finished first in the 7.5k sprint, just three seconds ahead of Katrina Howe of Maine Winter Sports Center. Katrina will also be on the biathlon development trip to Europe in February so I am looking forward to many more close races with her over the next month. She started several minutes ahead of me today, so I had no idea how close we were.

I did not shoot as well as I had hoped to today, missing three in prone and two in standing, so I did not think I would be on top of the podium. But I kept pushing hard against the very loud and abrasive cold snow, and managed to ski just fast enough, I guess! I am working on speeding up my range procedure (see video) and finished my prone in 35 seconds. That is a good time for me, but might also explain why I missed three shots!

NorAm Champs Sprint Podium
Tomorrow we have a pursuit race (10k; 2 prone followed by 2 standing). I will be the first starter, followed very closely by Katrina. I hope tomorrow I will be able to post another picture like this after the pursuit! 

Proof that there were actual people at the biathlon race

No comments:

Post a Comment