Thursday, March 17, 2016

2016 World Championships Experience

The 2016 World Championships started off in a crazy way that I never would have planned-- with a stupid mistake and a two-minute time penalty in my first race. After cleaning prone in the 7.5k sprint, I overcame a miss on my first standing shot to hit the next four. With only one miss out of ten shots, I knew I would finish well inside the top 60 to qualify for the pursuit, and maybe even score World Cup points by finishing in the top 40. I was thrilled as I left the range, savoring the final four hits. Then, just as I should have merged right into the penalty loop, one of the fastest skiers on the World Cup passed me on my left. In one instant of distraction, I jumped into her draft and all hope of a good result was lost. Half way around the course I had a moment of panic as I started to question with my oxygen-deficient brain whether or not I had gone into the penalty loop. Upon crossing the finish line I checked the live results and saw the asterisk next to my name in 84th place. I was embarrassed on behalf of our team staff and coaches and devastated that one of my best races of the winter was doomed. I had no choice but to try to forget about it.

View of downtown Oslo from our hotel up at the Holmenkollen venue.
With the pursuit off my schedule, I only had two more races, the 15k individual and the 4x6k women's relay. The individual was mediocre; I had one bad shooting stage (0, 3, 0, 1) that derailed the effort. In that event, instead of skiing the penalty loop, there is a 1-minute time penalty for each miss, so the shooting is even more important. My ski time rank was ok but not great, in the low 50's.

Ole Einar Bjorndahlen, the Norwegian biathlon "king"
adds to his extensive medal collection at age 42.

In the women's relay, we had our best shooting performance of the year, with only 8 spare rounds used among the four of us. (Each person can use up to three spares per stage if needed, so a total of 6 spares per person). And we did not have any penalty loops! However lots of other teams also shot really well, and they skied faster than us so we ended up 13th. We were still content with our good performance. Hannah and Annelies are both retiring after this season and these were the last World Cup/World Championship races for them. I am very sad to see them go. They have taught me so much!

L-R: Susan, Hannah, me, Annelies
In the fog! Bad news when you can't see the target from the shooting mat.
L-R: Coach Jonne, me, Susan, Hannah, Annelies, wax tech Gara
The best thing about World Championships was that I had both my brothers as well as two good friends in attendance. Guy and Graham made the trip for the 2nd time, having also attended 2015 World Championships in Finland. They cheered for every race in all their USA gear. My friend Ley, who lives in Oslo, was kind enough to host my other friend Peter who flew in from England for the weekend. We all went sledding together, which Norwegians believe is called "sledging" in English. Oslo has an awesome sledding route accessible by public transport. You take the tram to the top of the mountain, rent a sled, then hit the track for about 8 minutes of downhill, and then (if you survive!!!) you take the tram back up to the top, 5 stops. 

L-R: Guy, me, Graham, Peter and Ley (decked out in USBA gear!)
Check out Graham on the side of the trail at 20-25 seconds.

L-R: Guy, me, Graham

No comments:

Post a Comment