Friday, March 6, 2015

World Championships Underway in Finland


I was very proud to carry the flag for team USA at the opening ceremony of World Championships, here in Kontiolahti, Finland! Of course, the reason I was chosen to carry the flag was so our top athletes could stay home and rest up for the mixed relay-- an event which I was not part of. But somebody had to carry that flag! It is always an honor to bear the flag and represent our country, and I feel that way every time I put on our uniform.

We arrived here on Monday, after a two-week training camp in Norway. Other than gray skies and deep, slushy snow on the course, my experience here so far has been good. I shot really well in practice yesterday, which gave me a much-needed confidence boost for my upcoming races. The sun is even sort of trying to show itself today... so maybe that is a good sign for the weather to come! Another good sign was that I dreamt that I came in 59th in the sprint. The top 60 finishers in the sprint qualify for the next day's pursuit race, so that is a goal of mine. I would have to shoot very well-- at least 8/10 shots-- to have a chance.

Yet another good omen is that my TWO BROTHERS ARE COMING!!! I just had a skype conversation with my older brother, Guy, and he broke the news that he and my younger brother Graham will both be here next Wednesday through Sunday. Neither of them have ever been to Finland or a biathlon race, so this is very exciting for all of us. My parents came to World Cup 8 in Oslo and now my brothers are coming here, so I have had 100% family representation already in my first year on the team. 

Being the rookie at World Championships is overwhelming at times. I am one of the least experienced people here. When I think about my long-term outlook in this sport, I feel very confident about where I am headed, but for sure when I think about the upcoming races, I have moments of uncertainty. It's important to block those thoughts out. I have a great opportunity right now to practice for next World Champs, when I won't be the rookie anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment