Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Season Opener

This past Sunday I competed in my first race of the season, the Craftsbury Opener.

THANK GOODNESS RACING SEASON IS FINALLY HERE!!!!!! (AND TRAINING SEASON IS FINALLY OVER!!!!!!!)

 For most participants, it was a standard 7.5km freestyle race. But my teammates Mike, Ethan and I made it into a biathlon, pulling over into Craftsbury's mini-range to shoot during the race. It was a five-lap race, which is perfect for doing four shooting stages, two prone and two standing. I ended up 19th, 3:06 behind the women's race winner, Jennifer Rolfes from Harvard (full results). I think it is reasonable to give myself and average of :45 seconds for each time I stopped to shoot, so that gives me a total of 3:00 minutes spent at the range, plus I think I deserve at LEAST :06 seconds for carrying that darn rifle. Bottom line is that it would have been close, so congrats to Jennifer! My former teammate, Elizabeth Izzo, of UNH came in second. It was great to have Izzo and the other Wildcats in Craftsbury for Thanksgiving training. Pictures.

This weekend we also held a biathlon clinic. A ton of people came to learn to shoot. The mini-range certainly attracts a lot of attention since it is right on our man-made loop. In lieu of filling huge stadiums with tens of thousands of screaming fans for a biathlon World Cup, it is a great way to share the sport!

That's me in the pink (Salomon sweatshirt!) hood, showing someone the basics of biathlon.


No comments:

Post a Comment