Thursday, January 15, 2015

First IBU Cup Race

My first IBU Cup race was not at all what I had in mind. Even though I was just starting to get over my cold and had only practiced once all week, I decided to race last Saturday because participating in the IBU Cup is such a big opportunity for me. But my ill-preparedness (and I mean ILL) showed: I got almost last place- 77th out of 83, hitting only five out of ten targets, clocking the 66th fastest course time and the 81st fastest (third slowest) shooting time. I am hopeful that this will go down in history as my most fantastically bad biathlon personal-worst, along with that one time I got third-to-last in a nordic Eastern Cup. Needless to say, my IBU Cup debut performance did not earn me starting rights on the World Cup. But I will compete again this weekend in Ridnaun, Italy and I hope that as a healthy athlete I can do significantly better and maybe earn that World Cup start. 

In the meantime, I got some positive perspective from the experts. Susan Dunklee said that even when she has a minor cold she notices a drop in her shooting percentages. Shooting requires fine cerebral and physical work, so trying to perform well when your mind and body are even slightly under-responsive is extra challenging. "Head up and keep fighting" was another piece of wisdom from Susan, one which I know she lives by. Lowell Bailey reminded me that you have to play to win! He said that about his own race from last weekend, in which he too hit only half of his targets and finished 30th out of 30 in a really tough day on the World Cup. This is a guy who has been to the Olympics multiple times and stood on the World Cup podium. And Hannah Dreissigacker shared her own first-IBU experience with me: she apparently missed "a bazillion" targets (that's gotta be at least 50%) one day, and cross-fired onto the wrong target the next. With the pressure of qualifying for the World Cup off her shoulders, she was able to look at each of her subsequent races as an opportunity for success rather than a chance at blowing it, and that's when she started racing to her potential. Later that season she made her World Cup debut. 

Sean McAnn, who works for the US Olympic Committee as a sports psychologist for precision shooters and biathletes, asked me, "What is your job?" My job is to perform well. Qualifying for the World Cup, or winning a medal, or whatever the result goal may be, comes as a result of performing well and not the other way around. So what are my keys to shooting well and skiing well? That is my homework for the foreseeable future!

I'm so grateful to have all these smart and experienced people to help me keep my head on straight. Maybe their wisdom will infiltrate your outlook and help you perform well, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment