Thursday, January 8, 2015

Racing and Not Racing in Europe!

Today was my first race in Europe! ...and I sat in my hotel room sneezing.

I got a cold after Christmas and fought it off twice and re-got it again three times. The third time coincided with my international travel and now I am really run down. I have taken the whole week off since arriving here, but plan to race tomorrow, as I have only this weekend and next to race on the IBU cup and potentially qualify for the World Cup.

Here's how qualification works: I am here with two other American women. Based on our results from these two weekends of IBU Cup racing, the top performer among us will move up to the World Cup and compete in Antholz, Italy at World Cup 5, and perhaps beyond. The other two will train for a week in Italy and then travel to Estonia for European Championships. 

Right now I am trying to focus on getting healthy, but I need to compromise that tomorrow in order to have a chance at making the World Cup! No athlete likes to make a decision that is contrary to the best interest of her health, but no athlete likes to sacrifice her big opportunity either! This is the first time I have missed a race due to illness, and I hope it is my last!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment